Sunday, June 6, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap




About a month ago, we made homemade laundry soap. I have been testing it out to make sure it really gets the job done before blogging on our latest frugal adventure. Let me tell you that it DOES in fact get the job done! I'm pleased with the cleaning abilities of this laundry soap & won't be buying premade laundry soap anymore. We made a double-batch of this for around $5, and it will probably be enough laundry soap to last us 6 months, and I do about 10 loads of laundry each week.

Here's the recipe:
Grate 1 bar of laundry soap such as Fels Baptha bar soap (at Meijer for $1.39)
Then run soap grinds through food processor to make the soap even finer
Mix in 1 cup Borax Laundry Booster (at Meijer for $3.99 a box)
Mix in 1 cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda (at Meijer for $2.99 a box)
Store in sealed container, such as a coffee can
Use 1 ½ tablespoons per load (yep, this amazingly small amount)

The soap will NOT bubble up in the washer like store-bought laundry soap. Have faith -it works!